Benefits of MashSSL
Let us consider how MashSSL stacks up against the requirements we outlined earlier:
- A single solution for situations where this problem manifests.
- MashSSL is a fundamental Internet building block that has countless uses.
- A lightweight RESTful application level protocol (run on top of HTTP).
- Standard defined in simple RESTful fashion.
- Should not require a new cryptographic protocol; it takes forever to build trust.
- Reuses SSL. Reuses whatever authentication is in place for scrambling.
- No new types of credentials to get and manage.
- Standard SSL certificates can be used.
- Place as little trust in the user/browser as possible, and ensure there are no changes required to the browser.
- Malicious user cannot spoof either web application! No changes required to browser.
- Do not use user authentication as a proxy for B2B authentication.
- Web applications authenticate each other (through browser)
- Plan for scale, the web apps in mashups might be serving millions of users. Cannot repeat expensive PKI operations each time.
- Reuses SSL abbreviated handshake to avoid repeating PKI operations.
So MashSSL provides a comprehensive solution with multiple uses.